Question
Posted by: Mom (2nd try) | 2011-03-16

Masturbation in children

I have an 8year old daughter who recently discovered that if she rubs her virgina against something it gives her a nice feeling. I asked her why she''s doing it, and all she said was that it''s nice. I told her that this is something you do in private, not when others are around, but she probably doesn''t understand completely, since my mother noticed it as well recently.

I feel that this is very young to start with masturbation and I do not know what to do about the situation.

I think you have handled it very well. Babies can masturbate. Excessive masturbation can suggest other risks. It is important to discuss this with a knowledgeble person as she could have been exposed to an adult who is sexually grooming her. Do not scare her, and try and trace what changed recently in terms of your and her social networks (family visits, school, after care, new friends). It may be a normal thing, but our children are nowadays so exposed. Consult a professional or phone the SASHA helpline for the contact details of a professional – 0860 100 262 if you are still worried. Deidre - SASHA

4
Posted by: peter | 2011-03-22

it is absolutely normal every kid differs some start at 8 others only at 12, and yes i think what you have said is it is fine to masterbate but do it in private.

Reply to peter
Posted by: sexologist | 2011-03-17

Reply to sexologist
Posted by: Alexxx | 2011-03-16

i would say, chat to a psychologist and ask them whats the correct way to handle it.

Reply to Alexxx
Posted by: A woman | 2011-03-16

The main thing is she must NOT be given the impression that masturbation is wrong, too many people grow up thinking it is a dirty evil thing which is wrong. It is a completely natural thing to do. She probably should just be told he is a bit young to be doing it now and needs to wait a few more years, or as you said, do it in private.

Reply to A woman