Posted by: Lindi | 2012-02-13

massive joint pain - my fault or the drug''s fault?

HI Doc

I am on Acnetane with one month left. About a month back I developed brittle bones, one of the listed side effects. This led to difficulty walking and I had to stop all gym. As it is a listed side effect I didn''t worry so much, I can''t fret when the insert says it is one of the possible side effects.

However on Friday I went dancing on my bday and on Sat woke up with massive swelling, with the knee area looking totally arthritic and warped. Only today am I able to walk at all, and it is a hobbling walk. I do understand I severely stressed my joints with the dancing but is this a typical reaction of brittle bones - very bad inflammation after stressful activity? The entire knee area was very swollen as tho I had been beaten with logs. I blame myself for dancing so much when I already had very brittle bones - I can''t blame the Acnetane and as such shd not necessarily stop taking it, esp with only one month to go. My doc will not take me off it with the end so near in sight (and good skin clearing). But what is your opinion, I just wanted ot know? Would brittle bones typically react very badly to stress? And is it better to hobble in pain for the next month - am I just being a coward for wanting to come off it right now? With the end so close? I guess the question I need to answer is this - is it my fault for stressing my already weak joints so much (four hours of dancing in very high heels), or is this a massive red flag for the condition the Acnetane has put my joints in?

You should consult your doctor for an examination and x-rays as soon as possilbe, to determine why there is so much inflammation in your knee joint. It is more likely that there was bleeding into the joint, due to trauma of the cartlidge surfaces. Brittle bone can also result in small fractures, which can also be the cause of the excessive swelling and painful knee. Rest your knee as much as possible and consult your doctor for further testing.