Posted by: Meee | 2009-03-24

Marriage counseling.

Hi, my wife and I decided to go to marriage counseling, as a last resort, if it doesn' t work out after this we are going to split up as we are both unhappy with our current situation, (we have no kids) we went for our first session together and afterwards when we got home she was very rude and nasty towards me, she was like this for the whole week, she didn' t talk to me, I was not aloud to touch her, she was very nasty towards me .... so I decided to go away on my own for the weekend so she can sort her head out a little, I got back and she was fine again, then Monday she went for the 2nd session alone, I got home and immediately she was nasty and rude to me again. Why is it that the counseling is making things worse? How does the counseling work, when will things start to get better?, cause if things is getting worse after the sessions why even go in the first place? I am really in a second mind about this, what should I do?

Obviously, one wonders why she responded so unpleasantly to the first counselling session. Try to keep her committed to counselling, and next session discuss her reaction, and the counsellor can ask her about it. You can couch your comments on the basis off worrying about why the counselling seems at times to make things worse, so she doesn't see it as an attack on or criticism of her. Let the counsello explore and help you both to find the explanations