Posted by: Darryn | 2009-06-22

Im currently doing training for The British Royal Marines.

I am struggeling to get cardio fit. My whole body is pretty ripped, minimal body fat, upper body strenght great.
I am struggeling with achieving this:
2.4km within 12min30, then 1 minute later 2.4 km in under 10:30, on a treadmill. That is the fitness requirement, for the first part.

How can I effeciently do this?

HI Darryn

If you're generally fit, then 2.4km in 12 minutes is not that difficult to do. It will take a little bit of training, but you'll get there pretty quickly. Then the speed to run the 10:30 is the next challenge. That is quite a tough ask and does take some specific work. If you can get yourselft into the kind of condition that would allow you to run 5km in around 21 minutes, then that task will be doable.

I'm not sure what time-frame we're talking here. That's obviously important, because it determines where you start. If you did that 2.4km test today, what would you run it in? Maybe 11 minutes? Maybe 11:30. Hopefully lower, that would mean less work to do.

Once you know that, then you can start to prepare. I'd say you should set aside at least three days a week to run, one day is an easy run of 30 minutes, the second is a steady run of say 20 minutes, and the third a session where you break the run up into shorter segments, and then run them faster than the required pace from the run. For example, you need to run at around 4:10 per kilometer to achieve the target.

I'd say your session, once a week is to do a run consisting of 5 x 3 minutes, at faster than the required pace (under 4;00/km for example), with a 3 min rest in between. That's a 30 min session, teaching you to run faster than at race pace.