Question
Posted by: michelle | 2012/06/22

Marijuana Addiction

I am 26 years old and have been using marijuana since the age of 16. I have used other drugs before (e.g cocaine, extacy, crystal meth) but did not become addicted. I smoke marijuana daily to relieve my emotional pain which was caused by severe childhood trauma. I do suffer from depression and is supposed to be on antidepressants but I always fail to use it as it does not feel like it is helping me in any way. I have a boyfriend (also a marijuana addict) who is demanding me to stop smoking today. How can I stop if this is my way of coping with life? I have been suicidal and I used to be a cutter. I can''t see myself coping with life without using marijuana. I will not book myself into rehab, it would ruin me as a person. Is there any alternative way of going about?

Expert ImageAddictions expert

Dear Michelle,

There is definitely no alternative way to stopping your emotional pain than actually dealing with it.

You have been brave enough to admit that you have a problem now you need to take action.

If you are not willing to book yourself into a rehab facility then I suggest that you seek the help of a Clinical Psychologist to start working through your childhood trauma.

Let me know if you need assistance in finding one that specializes in trauma.

All the best,
Karen

4
Posted by: Khizer | 2012/09/13

Hey m khizer. M adicted of marijuana. Nd i wz juz 19 b4 3 yrz i usd it. Sme intentions nd sum fmily prbs. Please. Can you consult me.

Reply to Khizer
Posted by: Addictions expert | 2012/06/27

Dear Michelle,

All the best,
Karen

Reply to Addictions expert
Posted by: michelle | 2012/06/26

@ME I have actually stopped the day I posted this and I have been clean for 5 days and counting. I guess rehabs are overrated. I just need a support system of some sort ... like a forum!

Reply to michelle
Posted by: ME | 2012/06/25

At the risk of sounding harsh... do you actually WANT to quit your marijuana habit? It sounds like you are only considering it because your boyfriend wants you to. What about him? Is he a current addict or a recovering one? Kind of the pot calling the kettle black.

Firstly you need councelling to get to the route of your childhood trauma.. turning to drugs is not the answer. Anti depressants do work when taken correctly. It sounds like you are trying to find an excuse to keep taking the marijuana.

Reply to ME