Question
Posted by: Angela | 2009-06-24

Marijuana

Hi there,

I have been a weed smoker for almost 10 years now. I really enjoy it, however I have realsied that I am addivted as I cannot sleep if I don' t smoke before bed time. I smoke between 2 and 4 per day.

I need help! Are there any meds on the market which would help me stop smoking like antibooze is used for alholics?

Please help...

Expert ImageArchive

Hi, I would suggest that you seek professional imput from a mental health practioner (such as a psychiatrist/clinical psychologist) as a matter of urgency as you certainly present with a problem. It is likely that you have an underlying problem that might be triggering you dagga use - such as depression, so you might need the correct medication.

I know of some people you use Chlonidine (marketed as Dixaritt) in SA in their recovery process (mainly when craving) from cannabis - one does not need a prescription for it and it is medically safe to use - I would advice that you speek openly and frankly to your pharmacst about this so that he/she can advice you on dosage ------ however, do not only do this, you need to get to a mental health practioner as a matter of priority and perhaps join a support group such as CAD, NA etc

6
Posted by: D | 2009-06-27

I' ve been a weed smoker for 3 years or so - easy enough to stop smoking, you don' t understand what craving is until you play with the very evil tobacco. I used to smoke to help me sleep as well, but now I seem battle more to get to sleep on weed.

I use a vaporizer a lot, and I consume my own grass - should probably smoke less, but there are plenty of worst things i could be doing.

Pretty insane its illegal to be honest...

Reply to D
Posted by: Johan | 2009-06-26

I' ve been smoking for close to 11 years now. I' ve tried to stop but damn the cravings is terible. I also use it as a ' sleeping- medium' . I know it is not good for your health, but to stop (for me) is much easier said than done.

Reply to Johan
Posted by: Smoker | 2009-06-26

I have also smoked weed for about 6 years now, and about 3 months ago, i just stopped. I also felt like i wont be albe to quite, but i did. I must admit that i feel much better now that i have stopped.

Reply to Smoker
Posted by: Expittekop | 2009-06-26

Hi Angela

The first comment was quite correct. Dope is not physically addictive. You can stop, but only if you really want to. I did not want to stop smoking, but I knew I had to, for the sake of my family and for medical insurance reasons and so on. I still have a little bag of " omkyk twak"  stashed away, but haven' t had for about 15 weeks now with no hassle. It may be that you are addicted to the tobacco you are mixing it with. Try smoking much smaller amounts without mix and thereafter just kick it totally. Good luck, you can do it, easily.

And then to Juan, are you the same guy who always posts about the free ANC T-shirts? Ja nee boet peeps need to smoke to stay sane in his country. LOL. No seriously people, if I can stop smoking " wakkie tabakkie"  anyone can.

Cheers Expittekop

Reply to Expittekop
Posted by: Juan | 2009-06-26

WHY is weed illigal, as it is not addictive? How can a NATURAL plant be ' illegal' ? Why are cancer-causing, ADDICTIVE cigarettes legal when it kills more people than weed?

Reply to Juan
Posted by: Been there | 2009-06-26

Hi Angela. You ARE able to stop if you want. There is nothing in marijuana that is actually addictive. In cigarettes you have nicotene, the there is nothing physically addicting in dagga. I know this because I smoked as well. I just stopped smoking and got no cravings at all. Just make sure you dont have any " stock"  on you and stay away from people who supply you. Within a week I had more energy as the weed actually saps all energy from you during the working day.

I also have insomnia, but i am dealing with it. Sometimes our bodies just dont need as much sleep as what we think we need. Our bodies know better.

Just give it a try, it' s really not that bad. I smoked for about 8 years and now clean for 4 months. good luck

Reply to Been there