Question
Posted by: Maria | 2012-04-16

Maria

How do I discourage my cat from jumping up onto an outside windowsill? She is triggering the alarm every time she does it. Is there something I can spray that will deter her? I was thinking cayenne pepper but the sill is at an angle, and the wind will just blow it away. Squirting water at her might work but only when we''re home! And with this particular cat it hasn''t been very effective in the past.

Hi Maria

You'll have to speak to your alarm company and see if they can change the status of your alarm to one that is pet friendly. Alternatively you need to place a object on the windowsill to deter you cat from jumping onto the window. You can obtain deterrent sprays from your local veterinary practice.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

5
Posted by: anne | 2012-04-18

I place a roll of wire onto the outside sill, a huge barrier so our cats cant jump up there and set off the alarm. I gave them an alternate window to go through in the front and have a pet friendly alarm system. Good luck.

Reply to anne
Posted by: Maria | 2012-04-17

We value our safety and possessions and our animals so we will make this work one way or the other.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Michiel | 2012-04-17

Cats are not compatable with a lot of things,and definately not an Alarm system.
You will have to weigh things which is worth the most the cat or the alarm.You will have to decide which to keep because once jumping on the sill it becomes a habit so the cat will not stop.

Reply to Michiel
Posted by: Charmaine | 2012-04-17

Pet-Away should work, but it doesn''t work on my animals. I''ve also heard that citronella works - it may be worth a try

Reply to Charmaine
Posted by: Maria | 2012-04-16

Oh dear. Obviously the subject should have been " Cat deterrent" !

Reply to Maria