Question
Posted by: Col | 2013-01-11

Maputo (Mozambique) &  Richards Bay (SA)

Hi - my husband and I are going on a cruise at the end of January and both have SA Passports. Do we need a Visa to enter Mozambique? And are Maputo and Richards Bay (and surrounding Game Reserves i.e. Phinda, Hluhluwe / Umfolozi and even the Lake St Lucia area) malaria areas? My husband had a Kidney Transplant 15 years ago and is on immuno-suppressive and various other drugs. Please advise whether we would need anti-malaria medication and if so, would this still be necessary even if we just stay onboard the ship in these ports and not go ashore? Thank-you.

1
Posted by: pete | 2013-01-14

Dear Col,
Risk of Malaria is very low on criuse liners as malaria infected mosquitoes are active from Dusk to dawn when you should be on board!. Use Tabard lotion at Dusk if you are on board in port but risk is low due to effective spraying from Kwazulu Natal to Maputo. If you go further north risk is higher but sleeping on board reduces risk.
Regards,
Pete.

Reply to pete