Question
Posted by: Etiquette | 2011/01/28

MANNERS MAKETH THE (WO)MAN ?????

When one sends an email or sms to another to find out how he or she is, is it not just common courtesy to respond?? (hardly a CS question, but the best answers are always posted on this forum!!) I get so annoyed when I take time out to enquire about someone''s wellbeing and they simply ignore the message. I guess it takes all types to make up this wonderful world we live in ... :) :) Just asking ....

I think the same principal in manners applied when a postcard had to be sent my a runner with it lodged in a cleft stick ! Anyhow, no response tells you exactly how they are - uncaring.

9

Posted by: Grace | 2011/01/28

If it is really important, I would make a call, but when I think of someone and know that they could possibly be busy, I send an sms to find out how they are and wish them well for the day .. I would rather wait for a response than call someone who is too busy to chat ... as far as I am aware sms are not free, so one is spending money by sending one .. anyway each to his own ... I prefer receiving an sms from someone to which I can respond in my own time than receive a call at an inconvenient time and have to cut them short .... ! and sms are more private than calls when sitting in an open plan office ... especially if one sneaks a response in during working hours ... yes I am guilty of that!

Reply to Grace
Posted by: Garfield | 2011/01/28

I agree with those of you saying that an sms enquiring as to how you are is really annoying. Pick up the phone or see them in person! SMS''s (in my oppinion) are for short, brief statements or questions requiring short, brief responses ... or for teenage chat. If you would like a sincere reply with regards to how someone really is then how can you expect to receive that in an sms?!

Reply to Garfield
Posted by: Vrye Denker | 2011/01/28

If it''s that important, make a call.

Reply to Vrye Denker
Posted by: Old fashioned | 2011/01/28

I never reply to chatty SMSs - if you really want to find out how l am spend some money and make a call, l am not a teenager!!!!

Reply to Old fashioned
Posted by: Horney Guy | 2011/01/28

I agree with Etiquette and Women - people can be really nasty at times.

Reply to Horney Guy
Posted by: Woman | 2011/01/28

It takes less than a minute to send an sms...

Reply to Woman
Posted by: Purple | 2011/01/28

Yes, but you don''t know if the person is out for the day or away or just so swamped with work or things at home that they haven''t had a chance to reply yet.

Personally, if I want to know how someone is, I phone them as I think that is more polite, so we do all differ.

Good manners is a way of including peole and putting people at ease, etiquette is a means of excluding people who don''t do things the way you do or know the special " in"  rules. Manners do maketh the (wo)man as you put it.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: woman | 2011/01/28

I know exactly how you feel, it is rude i get it from so called friends, where I send an sms and no responce but next time I speak to them its as if its normal, I would be Oh did you get that message... and they would be hmmmm yes, no explanation. Darn Rude.

Reply to woman