Question
Posted by: Low GI | 2008/07/10

Mannaplus

I have come across a short article on Mannaplus, a product that lowers the GI of foods and helps with balancing blood sugar, insulin resistance, etc. Is there any merit in this product?

Dear Low GI
I have also heard of this product which is supposed to lower the GI of foods which will then lower your blood sugar and insulin levels. The product is supposed to contain galactose and mannose extracted from thorn trees, and this combination may well lower blood sugar and insulin levels. I can, however, not guarantee that this product will not cause abdominal discomfort or cause diarrhoea if used in large quantities. You can certainly give the product a try, but do remember that there are many foods that have a low GI and that you can lower the GI of foods by combining them with other low-GI foods (e.g. adding low-fat milk or yoghurt to a high-GI breakfast cereal will lower the GI of the latter). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI.