Question
Posted by: Angel G | 2010/07/21

Manic marriage (bipolar)

I''m in a manic marriage and my wife''s learned the manipulation trick very well. She''s been Bipolar for many years (before we got married) and we''re married for 23years. She always had it and it only came to light about 12years ago. Her family doesn''t make it better and I''ve now been diagnosed with depression after I lost my Mom to cancer. She was my anchor in life to deal with my situation that I found myself in. When she died I just sort of " gave up" . Now my work is suffering and so is my finances. I feel like I''m in a corner and she''s forever suspicious of anything I do. I have now started to develop a " complex"  around females which never was there. People can see there''s something wrong with me or my private life but no one can figure out what''s wrong because I hide it from the world. If she finds out that I chatted to someone about my situation even though it''s my own blood brother she becomes abusive. I have discussed this with her psych already but with no positive out come for me. She''s forever the winning one. " Sometimes I just wish someone can stop the world so I can get off and jump onto another one" . The many days I spend crying by myself and trying to come to terms with my life is countless. If any bipolar sufferer reads this, please think of your partner. What if they should also become sick, then what? Are you being fair to them? Are your family supportive to your partner?

If you have, wisely, discussed this with her shrink, it's disappointing if he was unable to help. But it sounds as though you have been becoming depressed, too, understandably, and you deserve at least a proper assessment, and perhaps helpful treatment, too. You're right that Bipolar Disorder, like Cancer, though a disease primarily of one person, also seriousuy affects their family and loved ones.

3
Posted by: bi | 2010/07/22

Whoa, good point. I will take my partner more into account in having to deal with me and my bipolar issues.
I hope you get better soon.

Reply to bi

There is a book that has just been written on precisely this issue entitled My Manic Marriage by Nina Mensing by New Voices Publishing, Cape Town - well worth the read.