Posted by: Daleen | 2009-01-11

Manic Depression

I have been diagnosed with manic depression, they say you get two types, I have the one that is caused by some balance in your brain thats not right. I was on simayla citalophram for about two years, previously to that on various other medication from the age of 16. I am now 23 and stopped about 4months ago, I am now using rescue blues but it doesnt feel as if it is working at all. Me and my husband are trying to conceive thats why I went for rescue because it is herbal, is there anything I can do or use that will be safe during pregnancy? I hear herbal remedies are also not so safe during pregnancy, is this true? Please help, we have been trying for almost 18months and I cant seem to get pregnant, I went through al the tests and they said nothing is wrong with me I can get pregnent, I suspect it may be the depression getting me down

HI Daleen,
Manic Depression is what they used to call it when I was in Medical School, now its called Bipolar Disorder (so if you want to look it up online, that'd be the best term to use in searching ). As our brain uses tiny amounts of chemicals to perform its functions, minor imbalances between these, or in the amounts readily available in specific areas of brain, can be a significant part of a range of disorders, including Bipolar Disorder. Ciralopram is a good antidepressant drug which suits many people well. If one has very mild depressions, maybe remedies such as you describe might help a little, but rescue blues could never handle Bipolar Disorder or any Major Depression. The best thing for you to do would be to see a psychiatrist locally for a thorough assessment, and then a discussion of treatment options. The issue is complex. Significant Depression or Anxiety can potentially reduce fertility ( we all come aross cases of women who, when they give up trying to conceive and adopt a child, soon fall pregnant --- it can happen that way ). Some antidepressants and mood stabilizers ( the choice would depend on the precise nature of your illness ) are better than others during pregnancy ; and one needs to balance the slight risk of some of them, if they are likely to be effective, with the also significant risk to a baby of having a mother with severe untreated Bipolar Disorder. A psychiatrist, after a good assessment, should be able to help you make a good decision about the balance of factors, to be best for you, enhancing your chances of fertility, and for the resultant child.,