Question
Posted by: SMS | 2012/08/02

Manager Job reqd. for 56 yr young man

Are there any managerial jobs for me as I am 56 now, still fit and sound in mind. I was running my successful businesses in Computer sales and training for past 16 years, but had to shut operations down because my eldest son, 2 years ago, was found defrauding my credit providers with false credit applications. I lost over R3million in the process, and my family of 28 years broke up thanks to his mother not standing by me in my time of crisis. Am divorced now for 2 years.
I have over 12 yrs experience in Cost Control, estimating and Accounting incl. Pastel. Also experienced as a Manager, Buyer, Sales Admin and Stock Controller. Passed first year B. Comm. Got s Fin. Management Diploma. Trained and lectured students in Accounting, management, PR, Marketing, Pastel &  MS Office.

Expert ImageExecutive coach

Hi SMS,
Thanks for your question. The workspace has changed a lot in the last few years, and people self-manage more. Consider re-branding yourself as a consultant or a functional expert with all your skills, rather than a manager. It could be a bit tougher, but will get you out of a slump that you could be in after all of your experiences. You are also now more skilled in life, and these are tools that you can apply in e.g. preventing fraud in other businesses by auditing them etc. Typically you can charge 3-4 times what you would as a salaried employee, but assume that 50% of your time will be taken up in managing your own business admin, marketing etc. Good luck!

1
Posted by: Executive Coach | 2012/08/20

Hi SMS,

Reply to Executive Coach