Question
Posted by: Tired and confused | 2010/03/24

Manager ignoring me??

Hi, I hope you will be able to assist? I have not taken leave for the last 2 years. I asked for 10 days off to go on an all expenses paid holiday. Ever since I asked my manager if I can purchase my non-refundable flights, she yelled at me that she does not have time to talk about it, and she has not answered me till today... I need this holiday more than anything, the ball is in her court, but she does not talk about it???? What are my rights here? I''m going on this holiday but now I must quit my job just because she does not see my point of view. What are my rights? May I take leave without her permission?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

RE: MANAGER IGNORING ME

You are entitled to leave and in fact not giving you leave is criminal. It is suggested that you lodge a complaint with the Department of Labour

2
Posted by: labour lawyer | 2010/03/29

RE: MANAGER IGNORING ME

Reply to labour lawyer
Posted by: PUrple | 2010/03/27

You can''t just take leave without permission, the company is allowed to decide whether you can or can''t take your leave at that time.
However, you have to be given at least 15 consecutive working days leave per year - whether they like it or not.

If you have tried speaking to your manager about this and she has been so unreasonable, then I suggest you speak to her manager. If that doesn''t work then go and see someone in HR and lodge a grievance. They are going to tell you to put something in writing to your manager and she will then have a set number of days to respond. However, they will also point out to her that she has to at some stage let you take leave.
An HR administrator should be monitoring leave etaken to ensure that everyone does take their leave, because if it builds up too much it is quite an expense for the company if people resign and they have to pay that leave out.

Reply to PUrple