Question

MALTEST POODLE SMELLS

My Maltese Poodle is 12 years old and smells terribly. She goes to the parlour every second week and gets bathed every other week, but the day after she is already stinking. Why is this and what can we do. She makes the whole house smell. Is this normal? (She does have an allergy to fleas - just one on her makes her scratch and scratch until she is red). Please help!

Dear Anon

It can be skin infection, anal glands or teeth. Best to take her for a check-up.

6

No, she does not sleep outside - she sleeps in the big, enclosed, locked, braai room where she has always been sleeping so there is no change in her routine there, I just don' t let her come into the main house area. I also feel sorry for her, hence the request for advise. I will take her to the vet again and mention dermatitis/anal gland possible problem.

Posted by: Frank | 2009-10-15

In you r first post you said this poor dog was not allowed in the house any more and she could not understand why she had to stay outside. That is neglect Im afraid, just because you didnt mention it in this post doesnt mean its suddenly not a problem. I think this was pointed out to you and also that mallasezzia thing and the anal glands etc. I feel sorry for this dog its not her fault.

Reply to Frank
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2009-10-15

It could be malassezia - a type of dermatitiswhich causes this smell. Ask your vet to take a scraping for testing. There are creams/potions etc available to clear it up and also take the smell away. I don' t think all that bathing is actually good because it strips the skin of its natural oils.

MY two cents worth. Good luck.

Reply to Cat Lady

I has been to the vet previously, and he said it was just an allergy for fleas, and gave her a cortisone injection. Neglect? No, if she was neglected would I be taking her to the Poodle Parlour every second week and bathing her every other week? What I was wanting was advise from people with the same problem - and if they had a solution. She is not in pain or " really bad" . She just smells. That is the problem.

It sounds really bad and painful for the dog, I cant understand why you havnt taken her to the doctor yet. This sounds like it has been going on for a while now. I think thats complete neglect.

Posted by: Cybervet | 2009-10-13

Dear Anon

Reply to Cybervet