Question
Posted by: Ria | 2011-05-12

Maltese ears

I have a 9 year old maltese and for the past few months she shakes her head and then scratches her ears and howls as if in pain. I have taken her back to the vet several times and he has even given her an anaesthetic to enable him to properly inspect the ears and can find nothing wrong. But it is obvious that she is in discomfort. I have started using a natural aloe vera based jel for skin irritation and am rubbing this on the outside skin where the ear stands up and away from the head. She is not happy with me rubbing the ear but now seems to find a bit of relief with this jel. What can I do with this problem?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Ria, this really seems to be a vet problem and not something i can help with. If it were me i phone the vet, tell him it is still happening and ask what other conditions could cause this. I doublt very much is this is habit based from getting attention from you due to her ears. Do let me know what the vet says and good luck.
By the way, perhaps consider asking the cyber vet on this forum and see what they say as well? Thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-05-12

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert