Question
Posted by: Dog lover | 2011-02-07

Maltese ear infections

My maltese is prone to ear infections due to an allergy and is then treated with surolan. I also clean his ears as per instructions of the vet. The infection, however, comes back within a week after healing which means he has an ear infection more or less all the time. I look at his diet and make sure he eats only good pellets (Royal Canin). Do you perhaps have more advice how to look after his ears so that the infection does not come back so soon?

Recurrent ear infections are commonly a sign of a food / seasonal allergies . Often just by changing his food to a hypoallergenic diet ie Hills z/d or Royal Canin hypoallergenic . Cleaning the ears with epiotic/ear cleaned regularly and use medicated ear drops when necessary. We need to treat the CAUSE not the symptoms

2
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011-02-09

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2011-02-07

Sounds like you may be discontinuing treatment a bit soon.

Some dogs develop chronic ear problems - perhaps you could discuss with your vet to clean the ears with Otosol or Epi-Otic or some such preparation, on a regular basis.

Reply to Chill