Question
Posted by: AD | 2012/09/03

Maltese

Hi there,
I''m at my wits end with one of our dogs but let me first give some background. We have three dogs (2x maltese sisters and 1x Spaniel). We got the two maltese puppies about 6 years ago and the one grew up to be a very happy and loving dog. The other maltese is very withdrawn and don''t like people or being part of the family (if we let her she lies on one of the beds upstairs and won''t even come down to eat when we call. I house trained all our dogs in the same way (took them out to the lawn and rewarded good behaviour) and it all worked well until about two winters ago. All of a sudden the withdrawn dog started to do her business on the carpets (they have a doggy entrance so that they have access in and out the house at all times). At first I thought it might be because it''s cold and wet outside but even with better weather she still doesn''t go outside. I started picking up the loose carpets at night but she''ll just go and find a carpet somewhere else (bathroom or bedroom) if her ''usual spot'' it picked up. How do we get her to stop this without having to spray the carpets with stuff that will offend the other dogs as well?
Hope you can help.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi AD, the very first thing you need to do is to make sure there is no physical reason for the behaviour, so would suggest a vist to the vet. Before you go, try and observe her normal elimination patterns and she how often she is going, what colour urine is, is it smelly etc. The vet will prob ask you this, so this will give you a head start. She has entered her 'senior' years and it could very well be the case that she has a small problem. If not this could be behaviour related and from stress.

Once this side has been sorted out, throughly clean every single area she has done the toilet in with a mixture of 2/3 water to 1/3 white vinegar. Really soak it in (check if ok on carpet 1st) and dap several times with paper towels. After this, put down some drops of pure Citronella oil on all areas. Most dogs dont like the smell of this. If you have been cleaning the areas previously with household products, many of these contain ammonia and actually make the place smell more like at toilet!
Start toilet training right from the beginning and reward her with a treat each and every time she is successful outside. Really go overboard with the praise and treat so she gets the idea. Dont allow her in the house unless she is supervised until problem resolved.
If she does have an accident, dont scold her at all as this is attention to a dog, rather pick up a newspaper, roll it tightly, then knock yourself over the head for not paying enough attention!
If she sleeps inside at night, consider either crate training as a dog will seldom eliminate where it sleeps, or else put her in a closed area and teach her to eliminate on paper.
In case you are not sure how to do either of the above, here are two links to articles for you to read through at the end. Please let me know how it goes and if I can help again, just shout. Thks S
http://www.friendsofthedog.co.za/crate-training.html
http://www.friendsofthedog.co.za/teaching-a-pup-to-eliminate-on-paper.html

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012/09/04

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert