Question
Posted by: Toni | 2010/03/30

Malignant Melanoma

Hi I recently 29.01.2010 had a clark stage 4 melanoma removed from my leg close to the groin area. This is the second one, granted the 1st wasn''t too bad (stage 1) &  about 6 yrs ago on the opposite leg. I''ve been told I need to come back for check ups every 3 months for the next year. I lost my mom-in-law in Sept ''09 to this disease &  right now my husband &  daughter are driving me nuts while they worry &  needless to say it''s tough keeping a " stiff uper-lip"  all the time. Basically my question is this, how high are my chances of getting another one? I saw how quickly mom''s cancer spread &  I NEED to prevent this from happening to me.

Hallo Toni
If you already had 2 there are a possiblity that you may develop melanoma again, BUT Melanoma is absolutely treatable if you catch it early, so I would suggest that you ask your dermatologist to check any risky nevi 6 monthly for any changes of malignancy. Also ask your husband to check the areas of your body that you can't see - like your back. If you did not have metastases or lymphnodes that were affected, and the clark stage 4 melanoma was removed totally, the chance of not having any further problems is very high.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/03/30

Hallo Toni
dr Bets

Reply to cyberdoc