Question
Posted by: Afzal Mahomed | 2012-07-20

Malfunction of the Thyroid Gland

Malfunction of the Thyroid gland is a cause of tiredness.

How would this be determined to be the cause and how can it be rectified?

Dear Afzal
I would suggest that you make an appointment with your medical doctor and explain that you suffer from tiredness. Ask the dr to arrange the necessary tests to test your thyroid gland function and discuss other possible reasons for your tiredness - these include: 1)anaemia caused by a deficiency of iron or vit B12; 2) vitamin and mineral deficiencies; 3) diabetes or hypoglycaemia; 4) fibromyalgia - to name but a few possible causes of tiredness.
I do hope you will find out what is causing your tiredness. If it should be an underactive thyroid gland, the dr will prescribe thyroid hormone therapy in the form of a medication such as Eltroxin. It can take quite long (3 months or more) for thyroid hormone levels to return to normal if you suffer from hypothyroidism so be patient. Individuals with thyroid hormone deficiency need to take their thyroid hormone replacement medication every day as directed by your doctor.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-07-21

Dear Afzal