Question
Posted by: BK | 2010/12/22

Male Yeast Infection (Balanitis)

Hi Doc,

I''ve been prescribed AP-Loratadine for post nasal drip. After 3 months of antibiotic treatment for acne, I developed a yeast infection (I am male). This ocurred and cleared up a while ago. My question is can an antihistamine cause a yeast infection in men?

Hallo BK
No, antihistamine won't cause a yeast infection. You may have been infected by a sex partner, or may have developed the yeast infection due to the antibiotics killing all the "good" bacteria in your bowel, giving the yeast a chance to spread. (we normally have yeast cells in the bowel but it is normally suppressed by the good bacteria in the bowel) People with diabetes are also prone to yeast infections, so maybe just have your blood sugar checked too.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/12/22

Hallo BK