Question
Posted by: Anne | 2012-11-07

Male infertility

My husband was diagnosed with TC a couple of years ago. He had an operation where one testicle was removed. The doctor who did the operation told us that we won’ t be able to have any children after this. We went to see a fertility specialist that told us that although my husband didn’ t have a lot of sperm we would be able to conceive using IVF. Which we did and now we have a healthy boy (15 months). Unfortunately about a year ago my husband’ s cancer was back and it moved to the glands. He had an operation to remove the tumour and had to undergo chemo afterwards. Before he started chemo we went to the fertility clinic to bank sperm as we knew that it would be destroyed with the chemo. But there were no sperm.
The Oncologist told my husband that the sperm might return after a while, but I am worried that this might not be the case as he was sterile before the chemo.
We thank God every day for our little boy, but would love to have another baby if in any way possible.
Please would you let me have your views on this?
Thank you.

Dear Anne
The possibility of obtaining sperm at this stage is extremely remote. However I would recommend that his blood profiles be monitored in intervals, to see if there are any changes in the FSH and LH levels, which may indicate some form of testicular recovery. Should this occur I would advise a testis biopsy. There is a lot of experimental work in progress using stem cell therapy or reactivating spermatogenesis (sperm production). However it would be many years before this would be implemented in practice, so at present there is not much that can be done.
Answered by Dr M.I.Cassim