Question
Posted by: upset | 2010/08/26

Male infertility

I''ve been having Female fertility problems but that''s a whole book worth of writing. I have another issue I''d like to discuss. Recently we decided to get my husband checked out as well, just in case, we did it via ampath and our gp.

The results came back and his sperm count is low as well as the quality of his sperm is low. Our gp told us to see an urologist which we made an appointment at but their first opening is only at the end of September!

I can''t wait that long for some answers so please can you give me some info. How far will this set us back? Is it reversable? How? What''s the options? We''re heartbroken, tired and scared. We would just love to have a baby and have had only obstacles, it''s very disheartening. .

My husband and I am still young (late twenties), healthy and normal weights and yet we''re struggling so much with conceiving. There hasn''t been any issues in his family before with sperm quality or quantity, what caused this?

I realize it''s impossible to give me all the answers but any answers or info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Dear Upset

Problems with male infertility are on the increase and we see a lot of couples in our practice presenting with sub-fertile semen parameters. The first advise would be to repeat the sperm analysis since there are significant fluctuations from time to time and also there are laboratory interpretation errors, which may present a problem. The choice of treatment depends on the extent of the sperm problem and there are very specific criteria for specific treatment options. Without this criteria it is difficult for me to give you any definite advise except that a visit to a fertility specialist might be extremely valuable.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

3
Posted by: Lara | 2010/09/06

Dr, we have recenlty consulted the specialist. They tested both of us and my husbands sperm count is apparantly extremely low. The specialist said it might be because of he is a smoker and a heavy drinker. Is it true? and can we have other ways of improving this conidtion without him having to wait until he stops smoking or stop drinking. he has tried to stop smoking, We both frastarted and have been trying for almost 10 years now to have a baby. Please help.

Reply to Lara
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/08/31

Dear Upset

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert
Posted by: Dee | 2010/08/30

I know your pain, we had both male and female infertility issues. A urologist can help to an extent but if I were you I would make an appt with a fertility specialist.

Male infertility is most times not reversable, my hubby also never had any family issues.

Reply to Dee