Question
Posted by: Ruth | 2010/04/06

male gynae

I have recently moved and changed to a male gynae, he is a good doctor, but he has a male nurse or trainee or something to do weight, blood pressure etc, and this guy is present during the examination. I requested that my husband come in for the examination, and this was refused, as only husbands of pregnant woman are allowed in during the examination, and I would like to know if there is any reason for this, as its only a breast check and pap smear with a trans vaginal ultrasound, so what is my husband going to see that he hasnt seen before. And is it legal to refuse a husband access to an examination room.

You can ask for the male nurse not to be there if you are uncomfortable with this. Husbands are usually not allowed in for the examintion just as they would not be present for any other examination. The contract is between you and the doctor, not your husband and the doctor. Many women would not discuss certain relevant things such as sexual problems if the husband was there.

4
Posted by: Purple | 2010/04/07

I took my husband with while I was pregnant but we''d both feel uncomfortable if he was there for my annual appointments.
With my very first appointment with the gynae he suggested having his nurse (female) there as I was quite nervous. She was very sweet and chatted to me the whole way through.
I was fine the next year without her.
It wouldn''t have worried me if the nurse had been male though.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Ruth | 2010/04/07

I would just like to know why my husband can''t be present, and its not really the doctors concern of the comfort of my husband, as he already knows what the doc is doing, do any other ladies take their husband with them.

Reply to Ruth
Posted by: Momof3 | 2010/04/07

Its sounds strange that the male nurse be present during the exam. My male gynae has a female nurse and is not present during the exam -
Is this male nurse at the foot of the bed during the exam? Did your gyae introduce him and say why he was present - to learn etc. I am sure you could request that the male nurse not be present during the exam -unless the Dr feels he needs protect from his female patients- then i am sure you could request the presence of a female nurse.- if you feel more comfortable.
Maybe the Dr feels a husband might feel upset or uncomfortable with a male Dr feeling his wife internally, i dont know. I do think you need to speak to him or the secretary when you make your app and ask if a female nurse can be present &  not the male nurse or that you dont feel comfortable with the male nurse &  can he not be present- Or speak to the gyae himself before you make your next app. -Just explain how you feel. A patient has rights too.

Reply to Momof3