Posted by: MicR | 2009-03-26

Male cat suddenly defecating indoors

Our 6yr old male cat has suddenly started defecating indoors. He was neutered at 7mnths and is the only cat in the house. He is friendly and affectionate, in good health, is de-wormed regularly and has a healthy appetite. He also has access to plenty of fresh water during the day. What can be the cause of this behaviour? Please help as my husband is starting to get a murderous gleam in his eye every time we come across another " surprise" !

Dear MicR

I suspect something outside is causing a lot of stress and this is the reason for the behaviour. Get a Feliway diffuser and get a few covered litter boxes in the house. If the stress reduces or the cat learns to cope better the behaviour will return back to normal.

Posted by: MicR | 2009-03-27

He' s done it twice in the same place and once in another room. We don' t have a litter box, kitty always has access to open windows and has always relieved himself outside. That' s what I don' t understand, he' s usually such a well behaved cat (except for the odd hairball and half-eaten bird carcass on the living room carpet...), we' re not used to this new behaviour.

Reply to MicR
Posted by: cat lover | 2009-03-26

If he is defecating in or around the same area it might be because he has chose this now as his new spot or because he can still smell it there

If you are able to you might need to feed him and then lock him out until he does his business and praise him when he does it outside - do this for a while. Cats dont respond to punishment - they just file it away and use it against you later!

If he is using a litter box and has chosen to go outside of the litter box it might be that he doesnt consider it clean enough or safe enough to go in the litter box.
We once had a cat who was terrorised everytime it went in the litterbox by our jack russel so it started going to the loo elsewhere!

My cat also wee weed on my fiances laptop bag when we first got together because he used to chase him off my lap or off the bed - we think it was out of jelousy. I got him to give the cat a little more attention and he hasnt done that since.

Lets see what cybervet says though - he is the expert and he is terribly funny!

Reply to cat lover