Question
Posted by: LYNDA | 2010-02-15

MALE CAT HITTING FEMALE CAT

Hi There

I have two cats, a male and a female, and both sterilized, which have grown up together, and are now both 9 years old. What a beautiful sight to see the two of them cuddled up together. I always thought that bond was unbreakable. Four months ago my male cat basically turned on my female cat in a most aggressive manner. He fights with her continously. He kicks at her with his hind legs. He hits her in the face. He will not be in the same room, on the same bed , sofa etc with her. I have placed a calming collar around his neck as well as the holder with cat pheremones in the house. This has had absolutely no effect on his behaviour.

My female cat has become withdrawn, she sleeps way to much. I know cats sleep for up to 16 hours a day. BUt her sleeping is actually excessive. I think she is awake for a minimum of 40 minutes a day and that is just to eat and do her " toilet" . And her stomach appears rather hard and enlarged and is extremely tender when you touched it. It is almost as if though she is " depressed" .

Please assist as I am so worried and my heart is breaking in two to see my cats who have been best of friends for nine years, fighting like this.

Dear Lynda

I suspect there is something wrong with your female cat. Have her checked out. A cat that is getting weaker can sometimes tigger aggression in the 'pack'

3
Posted by: LYNDA | 2010-02-19

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your response. I will be taking my cat to the vet today as I am extremely concerned about her well - being.

Reply to LYNDA
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010-02-16

Dear Lynda

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Chill | 2010-02-15

I would take the female for a check-up at the vet. If she is ill, her smell may have changed and it' s possible her former buddy is picking this up, and doesn' t like it. If her stomach is ' hard and enlarged' , there may well be something wrong.

Reply to Chill