Question
Posted by: Afghan | 2008/08/28

Male bullying female Afghan

My male Afghan is bullying the female dog (sterilized). She is becoming more and more reserved. The Springer Spaniel, also a sterilized female, does not allow that he bullies her. The dogs get a lot of attention on a daily basis. Should I have him neutered?

Dear Afgan

If the bullying consists of riding around on her back then neutering will help. Just remember to always support the dominant dog in its position to minimize the need to show you who is boss and thus reduce fighting and bullying.

2
Posted by: WR | 2008/08/28

I' m not saying that you do it - but you could actually be helping along in this by trying to get him to stop. Ignore it. Do not comfort her or give her attention when she cowers. When he does do it, ignore that too - if he sees that he gets no attention when he does this, he' ll most probably start doing it less and less.
Neutering should help like Chill said.
As long as he does not hurt her (as in her screaming or him drawing blood), let him be.
Even negative attention like screaming at him to stop, could be seen as attention.

Good luck.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/28

Sounds like a dominance issue - neutering him will probably make a difference.

Give him lots of attention and exercise, too - afghans need to run freely, often!

Reply to Chill