Posted by: Ilse Duncan | 2009-04-06

Male and Female Rabbits

Hi there,
I have a large garden with 3 miniature rabbits. I do not know whether they are male or female. I read that you cannot keep male and female rabbits together and that the male will kill the baby rabbits. is this true? I cannot check there sex as they are not tame enough to handle. we love them and would like to have them breed but we would be sad if it turns out that the male kills the babies. we also cannot separate them. i have a feeling the one may be pregnant.

Dear Ilse

You can pick up a bunny by the scruff of the neck and turn them around. You will not the testicles if the bunny is a male. They do not always kill the babies but best to have the male neutered and keep him away till the babies are weaned.

Posted by: WR | 2009-04-07

She will dig her own nest - probably has already. No need to worry about that.
Consider sterilizationafter this batch - if she is pregnant - or you can have a lot of unwanted bunnies around.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Ilse Duncan | 2009-04-07

As long as they are happy and healthy then it' s fine. My garden is large and they are so adorable all the neighbors stand around at the fence and watch the rabbits play. They are such a joy. The rabbit i think is pregnant is pulling out so much fur but has not made a nest. I put a box down for her and put some of her pulled out fur in it but she is not interested. As of this week she spends all her time isolated from the other 2 bunnies and she just sleeps under the table on the patio. I hope she is pregnant and not sick.

Reply to Ilse Duncan
Posted by: Chill | 2009-04-06

Hey c' mon, WR - it' s a LARGE garden, and they' re MINIATURE rabbits - could take MONTHS before it' s full!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: WR | 2009-04-06

Ilse - just a word of Good Luck. Once they start breeding - you' re gonna have your hands full..... the breed at an exceptional rate!

Reply to WR