Question
Posted by: mich | 2009-07-07

malaria prophylaxis

I will be visiting Northern Swaziland next week. I will be staying in a small town and will not be camping at all. Is malaria prophylaxis necessary?

Expert ImageTravel expert

Personal protection is always the first line of defence: Cover up between dusk and dawn and use DEET containing insect repellent. When you visit your travel doctor, they will advise you about appropriate phrophylaxis suitable to your medical history and planned exposure.
You don't state exactly where you will be going to, but this time of year is still regarded as the low risk season as far as malaria goes; except if the first rains have fallen in the area you will be visiting. Please go to http://www.malaria.org.za/Malaria_Risk/Risk_Maps/risk_maps.htm to view current malaria risk areas.