Question
Posted by: Ronel | 2012-11-18

Malaria prevention in pregnancy

I am going to Sodwana in December. I will be 6 months pregnant then. It is listed as a low risk malaria area. Do I need to take medicines to prevent malaria? If so, what is safe to take while pregnant and what are the risks? Are things like tabard that contain DEET safe to use?

Thanks very much.

I cannot give you advice on whether or not you should take malaria prophylaxis, but the recommendation is to avoid malaria areas in pregnancy.
There are some concerns about mosquito repellants in pregnancy. The insect repellant DEET (diethyltoluamide) is among the most effective at keeping bugs from biting; however, its safety during pregnancy has not been fully assessed. If a pregnant woman uses DEET, she should not apply it to her skin. Instead, she should place small amounts on her socks and shoes and outer clothes, using gloves or an applicator to avoid contact with her fingers.