Question
Posted by: Ronel | 2012-11-18

Malaria prevention in pregnancy

I am going to Sodwana in December. I will be 6 months pregnant then. It is listed as a low risk malaria area.

Do I need to take medicines to prevent malaria? If so, what is safe to take while pregnant and what are the risks?

Are things like tabard that contain DEET safe to use?

Thanks very much.

Ronel

Unfortunately, there is no prophylactic medication that can be safely used during pregnancy. The ideal will be not to put yourself at risk. If you absolutely have to go, you should do everything to prevent being bitten by a mosquito, i.e. long sleeve clothing, mosquito nets, mosquito repellants etc.