Question
Posted by: Karen | 2009/12/07

Malaria

Good Morning, what would be the right malaria treatment to take if your going to Mozambique, and when should I start? We' re leaving on the 22nd December ' 09.

Hallo Karen
You can use Larium or Malanil (Malarone). I like Malanil as you start 2 days before you leave and daily while you are there, and then daily for a week after you leave the area. Larium can cause unpleasant side effects but is cheaper and you only take it once weekly - 1 week before you leave and 4 weeks after you return.
dr Bets

4
Posted by: anxious | 2009/12/07

Just remember you cant take some malaria pills if you are going to be diving or flying (not sure about the flying I think they mean if you are flying yourself!), i.e. you' re the pilot!

Reply to anxious
Posted by: anxious | 2009/12/07

If you are going to take Mefliam (which is fine for Mozambique) you need to start 1 week before travel and take it the same day every week until finished. If you can afford it Malanil are the best (be warned Dischem charge R444.00 for the 12 tablet pack) and Discovery wanted a R111.00 levy! I said no thanks very much and took the Mefliam (which my doc gave me) and it cost R95.00 for the box and I paid 0.00! Malanil you only take day before the visit every day you are there and for 7 days thereafter - that' s it. I have to start mine this Sat (am going to KP next week). You lucky thing! My brother and family go to Mozambique to Barra Lodge for 10 days after leaving us at KP and I am green with envy! Have a great trip and PLEASE (as you probably know) finish your malaria pills and be sure to consult a doctor if you get ANY flu type symptoms when you come back. My gp says he has often had patients from Moz seriously sick with malaria even they took their malaria pills.

Reply to anxious
Posted by: John | 2009/12/07

ask www traveldoctor co za

Reply to John
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/12/07

Hallo Karen
dr Bets

Reply to cyberdoc