Question
Posted by: debracoetzee | 2008/10/14

malaria

my fiance works cross border, mostly in zambia. He phoned me last week thursday to say that he was not feeling well, like flu, cough and tight chest and lots of slime! he has not been eating. i spoke to him today and he says he is not better. is there a chance it can be malaria?
they do take precautions like mosquito spray and nets and all that.
if it is malaria, can it be treated at home and how would we know if it is malaria?

Dear Debra
It could be malaria - only way to find out is to do a blood test ( or fingerprick test) and he should please please see a doctor to make sure. They will prescribe medication for him to use if it is malaria and the parasite count is not too high. A high parasite count gives the risk for brain malaria or blackwater fever and this is usually treated in hospital