Question
Posted by: Nic | 2008/06/26

Malaria

Hi Doc,

I am going to Tanzania from 21 Jul till 4 Aug to visit my brother. Is it necessary to take malaria pills. I heard that it is not and that you can take antibiotics as soon as you start feeling sick. My brother also says that the locals say that malaria mosquitoes only bite at night.

Dear Nic
TAKE your pills. The risk of getting malaria complications is much higher if you don't and it is just not worth it. You can get permanent brain or kidney damage with severe malaria. The locals have a bit of "immunity" and the mozzies do bite mostly at night but can bite during the day too!