Question
Posted by: Mom | 2011-11-21

Making circular motions with feet

Hi doc.Is it normal?My daughter started when she was weeks old.Shes a year now and still does it.Only when she is calm though.Normally when we are driving or when shes about to fall asleep.
My fiance told me i do it too in my sleep.For more than 6years now and i didnt know i do it and he never told me until now as i was worried about my daughter.Now that i kow i do it when im half asleep i can feel myself doing it and find it irritating.
Making circular motion slowly with our feet.Is there an explanation to it?

Kids often have a small repertoire of things they do to comfort themselves or relax, especially when drowsy or falling asleep - maybe tickling their arm, or playing with their hair. And, why not, making regular foot movements. Very interesting that your fiancee has noticed you doing this, too. There's nothing particularly odd or bad about it, and it probably would only annoy you if you decided to let yourself become annoyed - you've been doing it for years without it bothering you. There's no need to worry, just relax.
There's a separate condition called Restless Legs Syndrome, where people are troubled by more major and uncomfortable, perhaps jerky, leg movements when asleep or trying to get to sleep, but they complain of this themselves, and wouldn't have it something they didn't notice till a bed-fellow pointed it out.

1