Question
Posted by: keen to have a baby | 2010/06/14

making a baby

hello
id like to know if its possible if myself and my fiance(we are a lesbian couple) can have the following procedure done re: getting pregnant. i want to artificially inseminate my egg with donor sperm and have it implanted inside of her to carry and birth. what are the risks, costs, and probability factors please? any institution that can assist us with our plan ?
thanks

Dear Keen to have a baby

What you are describing is the use of in-vitro fertilization [IVF] with donor sperm and combined with surrogacy. This is possible but it is important for you to understand that your partner who is going to carry the embryo who is now considered a surrogate may fall into the law under the new children’s act and therefore a court order may need to be obtained before the procedure can be undertaken. I may however be mistaken and I would suggest you seek some legal advice concerning the need for a court order or not. However from a medical point of view it is quite possible for you to undertake the procedure as you have discussed, this would need synchronization and the cost would be about one and a half times the cost of a normal IVF cycle and every clinic may have different cost structures, so I suggest you contact a fertility clinic closest to you.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

2
Posted by: A | 2010/07/07

Hi. That would make it about R57 000 if you lived in Durban.

Reply to A
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/06/18

Dear Keen to have a baby

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert