Question
Posted by: Donnie Darko | 2011/02/18

Major Depressive episode 6 months long and still continueing

Hi doc can a serious Major Depressive episode last as long as 6 months and longer?
I am 35 and have suffered from Endogenic Depression most of my adult life but have been relatively symptom free for quite a few years when wham! a serious episode struck me last year september. Its now 6 months later and while I have more or less learned to cope with the darkness it is still as strong and persistent as in the beginning. I am on 2 different AD''s and also take a low dosage of anti-psychotics for anxiety, I have been hospitalised twice during this 6 months, I eat healthy, abstain from alcohol, I did intensive CBT with a top psychologist and exercise vigourously 6 times a week but still improvement in my condition is very, very slow. The AD''s help with energy, sleeping and appetite but does not help me clear my head or lift my moods. At times I get very fustrated, hopeless, lonely and suicidal and wonder if I will ever be happy again. I have had previous episodes but never as intense and long as this one.

Yes, a Mafor Depressive Disorder CAN last that long. In many of us, the disorder may be lifelong in the sense that we retain the possibility of further episodes, and may need chronic treatment - but fortunately not in the sense of being several depressed in the long-term. CBT is important, and of course treatment supervised by a good psychiatrist and not only a GP.
It is unfortunate that this particular episode seems to be unduly lengthy and stubborn, but it will lift.

2

Posted by: Friend | 2011/02/18

You are not alone , you can always chat here or use helpline number above.
l admire all you have done to help yourself. To stick to a healthy diet and excercise takes great self disipline,you should be extremely proud of yourself.
l am sure CS will have some wise advice.

Reply to Friend