Question
Posted by: Fight or flight | 2010/06/18

Major depressive disorder &  the doctors that cause it.

Hi Doctor,

I am writing in despiration for some advice.

I suffer from depression that has been in check for the last 5 or so years but recently things have been going down hill again.

I have been diagnosed with , Bipolar mood disorder, Major Depressive disorder, Borderline Personality, I cant even remember half of the others. Ive been on medication since 12 now 30 years old, so fact is it is very unlikely that things are gonna change. I need someone to help me sort out things.

My home doctor has been very helpfull but were not getting anywhere after he altered my meds and I feel uncomfertable going back to him for the upteenth time and just saying this stuff doesnt make me feel much better.

I have been on all sorts of medication and Cymbalta worked exceptionaly well for 5 years. Everthing prior I was lucky to be on it for a year before effectiveness started to decrease. Cymbalta was actualy a lucky shot after I read about it and told my doctor that they had almost 20 years to figure it out and now its my turn to try something.

Now were back to square one.
The new stuff they gave me has so many side effects that bother me(even though you ignore them in hope to just feel better mentaly) but I am not satisfied.

There are only 2 Psychaitrists in my area and both are not what I would call a caring environment for help, Nothing personal but both seem to be scared of medication and rather want to fight me into normality or submission (what ever comes first). I cant stand another session of fighting someone that is suppose to help me(fighting in the sense that this is all your fault and you need to keep a stiff upper lip deal with it). Just having to call on someone because your so weak you cant even stop crying is realy bad enough if your a man, how do you keep a stiff upper lip if you are unable to talk to anyone most days with out breaking into tears for absolutely no reason. The humiliation is enough thanks, I am not going down that road again. What should I do?

I want to go to my GP with an informed desicion on what medication to try next and give him answers on why I think so. But the only starting point that i have is what didnt work previously and the one medication that did.

What would be your sugestion?

Thanks.

YOu're lucky to have a good and caring home doctor / GP - but any really complicated psych problem ( like any other highly complex medical problem ) is best handled by a specialist in the appropriate field. Its unfortunate if you only have a choice of 2 psychiatrist where you live, though not long ago there may have been none.
If they are properly trained and accedited psychiatrists, I don't understand why they would seem to be scared of medication or reluctant to use it ( assuming you do mean psychiatrists, rather than psychologists who are not able to write drug prescriptions ). Have you discussed with them this aspect of your concerns ?

2
Posted by: Maria | 2010/06/20

Who diagnosed you with these conditions, was it your gp or the psychiatrists? I find it alarming that you experience the psychiatrists in the way you do - it is very different from the way my psychiatrist operates. A gp should not be prescribing these meds and certainly not based purely on research done by a patient. I''m not implying that you shouldn''t have a say in what meds you are given. I always research in-depth the meds my doc prescribes and I challenge him if I don''t agree or understand. I suggest that you talk to your gp about consulting with a different psychiatrist then, even if it is someone not in your area. Believe me I understand about side effects and bursting into tears at very inappropriate times. You do need someone who is a specialist to help you find the right combo of meds, and this might be a painful process. Some psychotherapy can also help you deal with the symptoms. Take care.

Reply to Maria