Question
Posted by: Noeline | 2009-03-26

MAIZE/CORN ALLERGY

Good day - my daughter in law gave my grandson of 6 and a half months old a purity lunch that was a carrots and corn mixutre. Within 10 minutes of him finishing his lunch he developed a strawberry red (beard) across his face with water filled welts. This spread down to his neck and front and back torso within minutes. He was weazing as well. We rushed him to the local hospital and they suggested that he had shown an obvious allergic reaction to the corn. He will have to undergo allergy tests. Was this an anphilactic shock reaction? Where do we find literature to advise on foods etc, if he is allergic to corn this proves to be very difficult - will we be able to desensitise him?

Very concerned granny
Noeline

Dear Noeline
I am sorry to hear that your little grandson developed such a dramatic reaction - you must all have been terrified. It is vital that he has the allergy tests because you must pinpoint exactly what he is allergic to - the maize or corn, or some other allergen he may have come into contact with. Once you have identified the allergen, you will have to prevent contact with it. If it should be a food such as corn, he will have to avoid corn on the cob, sweetcorn, maize meal, maizena, maize snacks like tortillas and all processed foods that contain maize. You can contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: www.allallergy.net to find out more about corn allergy and foods to avoid. For recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: mwhildal@mweb.co.za . If you find it difficult to provide him with a nutritious diet as he grows older, I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to guide your through this phase.
Holdings thumbs for you and the little lad