Question
Posted by: Chris | 2011/01/11

Maintenance without Marriage

Hi All,

I am the father of twins 19 months old now and the mother has moved out with them, we are trying to draw maintenance up, She was working when we met however decided to stop when she fell pregnant, she has refused to work since. She is currently staying with ehr father, will I have to pay for everything or how would this generally work. I don''t feel its fair that I pay for her as well??

Expert ImageFamily law expert

To determine the child’s costs, the starting point in allocating expenses is to allocate those expenses that do not relate only to the child as to 1/3 for the children and 2/3 for the parent.

The principle of proportionality - if the income of both parents is equal, each parent will contribute 50% towards the needs of the minor children. When calculating the actual expenditure in respect of the children, the current income of both parents are taken into account and the principle of proportionality is applied to it.

Both parents have an obligation to pay maintenance and as such your ex need to look for work.

Bertus Preller
B.Proc; AD Dip L Law
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
E: bertus@divorceattorney.co.za
W: http://www.divorceattorney.co.za
Twitter: www.twitter/edivorce
Facebook: www.facebook.com/divorceattorneys
Skype: divorceattorney

2
Posted by: family law expert | 2011/01/16

Bertus Preller
B.Proc; AD Dip L Law
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
E: bertus@divorceattorney.co.za
W: http://www.divorceattorney.co.za
Twitter: www.twitter/edivorce
Skype: divorceattorney

Reply to family law expert
Posted by: Celeste | 2011/01/12

Chris........this is absolutely BS she must get off her behind and find a job, I''m not very clued up with this I''m sure someone will help you on this site.......Good Luck !

Reply to Celeste