Posted by: Sam | 2010-01-25

Maintenance increase?

Good afternoon. When my ex-husband and I got divorced 7 years ago, I only asked for maintenance which increases yearly by 10 % for my son, 8 years old and 50 % contribution towards school expenses. My son and I moved in with my parents and brother in a 2 bedroom house, because I wanted to be with them at that time and wanted to move out of his house urgently.
My son is growing up and we share a bedroom, but he now needs his own space, which my parents'  house can not provide. I did not ask my ex-husband for a contribution towards rent for my son then. I am considering moving out of my parents house, because it really is getting a bit crowded in there for all of us and my folks need their space too. I am considering moving into a little place of our own, just me and my son. Am I entitled to ask for my maintenance to be adjusted so that we can move out? What are my rights considering renting a place and my ex-husband contributing towards my son' s rent? Where should I start? Please help us.

Kind regards

Expert ImageFamily law expert

Dear Sam,
Yes ceratinly you have a right to approach the maintenance court to increase the maintenance paid by your ex. Maintenance of dependant children refers to food, clothing, medical care, dental care, health care, shelter, and education. What is reasonable depends upon the circumstances of the parties in question. A good intenet page on maintenance is that of eDivorce, see,

Bertus Preller

Posted by: Sam | 2010-02-03

Thank you Mr Preller for your advice. I appreciate it.

Reply to Sam