Question
Posted by: MELISSA | 2010/08/16

Maintenance and visits

Hi there I have a 3 year old daughter with my ex,it has been over a year that he has''nt paid maintenance.He was unemployed but has a job now but still I dont get a cent for her.He want to but stuff when it suits him and I have to literally fight with him to come fetch her for a weekend.What can I do in this situation?

Expert ImageFamily law expert

Go to the Magistrates Court in the area that you reside and lodge a claim for arrear maintenance. The maintenance officer will assist you.

Section 31(1) of the Maintenance Act stipulates that “. . . any person who fails to make any particular payment in accordance with a maintenance order shall be guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding one year or to such imprisonment without the option of a fine.”

Bertus Preller
www.divorceattorney.co.za
bertus@divorceattorney.co.za

1
Posted by: family law expert | 2010/08/16

Bertus Preller
www.divorceattorney.co.za
bertus@divorceattorney.co.za

Reply to family law expert