Posted by: What? | 2011-07-07

My husband''s 18 year (still at school) is taking him to court for more maintenance. He told his dad is taking him again in January. My husband has paid maintenance every month and also half of school fees, clothes etc. Now suddenly the child doesn''t want to come to him anymore and want more money. What can my husband do?

Expert ImageDivorce support expert

On a legal point of view I believe that if the son believes he is not getting enough to study and to be supported he can take his father to court for more maintenance but it sounds like something has happened "emotionally" to turn the son against his father and it would be worth exploring this. If your husband paid his share and saw his son on regular basis, try and find out what could have caused this sudden change of heart and address it with him, as an adult.