Question
Posted by: AMY | 2011/06/06

MAINTENANCE

I am recently married(1month) with a 5year old froma previous relationship. For the past year or more, I have recieved no finacial assistance for my daughter from her self employed father who owns a thriving bussiness. I''m concered that all is due to become extremely expensive as she starts attending grade R. Currently her day care fee''s are R1480.00 pm. Her father was only willing to contribute R1000.00 towards all her costs in total. He used to pay R800 from birth until she stayed with him for a few months as i relocated. We live in Pretoria and he in DBN. I would foot the travel expeses to ensure that she still got to spend time with him. I have since cut all ties, and communication due to the fact that he does not contribute towards her becasue he is uspet that she changed religions due to my being married. He would only ever contact her once every two weeks. if at all. I feel like she will be exposed to unnecessary riducule and not knowing when she will get another call or visit as I belive she deserves all the love and attention, and her needs to be met as a father should provide for his child. I don''t feel that it''s fair for her not to have just because he feels his spiting me in the process. At the same time, I do need him to take responsibility financially as education can only get more expensive, even if he isn''t mature enough for her to depend on emotionally.
Please help!!!!!

Expert ImageFamily law expert

I would approach the maintenance court and get a maintenance order in place.

Bertus Preller
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
A:1st Floor, 56 Shortmarket Street, Cape Town, 8000
O: +27 (0) 21 422 1323
E: bertus@divorceattorney.co.za; W: www.divorceattorney.co.za; Blog: www.divorceattorneys.wordpress.com;
Twitter: www.twitter.com/edivorce;
Facebook: www.facebook.com/divorceattorneys

2
Posted by: family law expert | 2011/06/08

Bertus Preller
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
O: +27 (0) 21 422 1323
Twitter: www.twitter.com/edivorce;

Reply to family law expert
Posted by: XYZ | 2011/06/07

Go to your local maintenance court and start proceedings against him. Remember to take all available copies of proof of income and expenditure. The maintenance officers will help you sort out the forms. If you have had a maintenance contract in place already, then also claim for the arrears.

Reply to XYZ