Question
Posted by: sasha | 2011/03/14

maintenance

What is the legal aspects about child maintenance. My soon ex-to be husband is working for himself and claims he doesn''t have an income. I heard there is a law that I can claim against his family for child support. Is that right or what procedures must I follow. I know he does get cash money in that he doesn''t bank, but I can''t prove that.

Obviously you need proper legal advice here, and your local university law school may have a free law clinic. Also, check the Maintenance Court usually at your nearest Magistrate's Court, who can advise, and a court can decide on what maintenance he ought to pay, and can enforce that decision. How can he have NO income ? Obviously, working for himself, he has a lousy boss. And maybe the SARS folks would be interested in his undeclared earnings, too
Woman seems to have the right ideas

2
Posted by: Woman | 2011/03/14

It''s sickening that a man can deny his own flesh and blood the care and financial security he/she needs. That is not a man!

You can indeed claim from his parents if he''s too lily-livered to pay maintenance. And I''m sure that if such and order is granted, his parents will put some pressure on him. Keep every single receipt to prove every cent spent. Maintenance is also not worked out 50/50, it''s worked out % wise with the income of the people involved.

Ask your local maintenance court for help. It might take a while, but.. when they have to pay, they also have to back pay, so you and your children might have to live frugally for a while. Be prepared for that.

Good luck!

Reply to Woman

Woman seems to have the right ideas