Posted by: vanessa | 2009/10/21


I had a son out of wedlock who is now 7. His father has been paying me R500 maintenance since 2005 and his medical. Now after 2yrs I have finally got hold of him and we must be in court in November as I am claiming R1500.00 and medical for my son. He has only a daughter left at school (Std 9) for which he pays maintenance. He says he cant afford to pay me that amount but when I saw him on Monday before I gave him the summons he told me that he had just bought a new bakkie, he rides a new Jetta and he bought R25 900.00 new furniture the other day. He owns his own house and futhermore he has no other debt as an ITC check was done by the maintenance court on him.

How do I go about making sure that I get the amount that I sued him for without the court bringing the amount down. My son starts school next year and Gauteng is very expensive. Last year alone I paid R22 300.00 for his pre-primary school (this inluded everything from tuckshop money, outings, stationery, concerts etc) this excluded clothes, food etc.

Please I need advice ASAP.


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDivorce support expert

Dear Vanessa,

for the legal issue you may contact me for a referral:

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Vanessa | 2009/11/27


I doubt if you have kids so you dont know what an expense they are. My child was not put in a school I cant afford. If you are a parent wouldt you want the best for your child. In hjs " so called Dad' s"  case his worldly belongings are more important than his child!!!!!

Reply to Vanessa
Posted by: Rob | 2009/10/30

I know the guy is responsible here but you also need to stop taking a kid to a school you can' t afford or do things that will make you lead an unconfortable life

Reply to Rob
Posted by: Gerrie | 2009/10/22

My friends'  ex lives in New York. Do you know if SA has a mainenance treaty with NY??? otherwise they can not do anything to him for not paying.

Please advise


Reply to Gerrie

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.