Question
Posted by: Chris | 2009-06-11

Maintenance

Hi Vanessa,

Hope all is well your side.
I would like to know how I could calculate my caloric maintenance level. I know to gain or lose you' d start with adding or deducting 500cal, etc. What I need is my maintenance level. I am a 24 year old male, 1,83m and am moderately active (gym, and various cardio, but have a desk job). I currently weigh 105kg' s. If you dont mind, could you please give me the formula used to work it out. I' ve searched the internet only to find that my supposed maintenance ranges from 2760cal - 3384cal. Thats somewhat of a big gap.

Thank you kindly,

Chris

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Chris

Nice to hear from you!

There are various formulas – here is the version I use:
Weight – let’s say you want to be 100kg x 1 (male factor) x 24 hours per day:
100 x 1 x 24 = 2400 is your basal metabolic rate.
Add 10% for digestion of food:
2400 + 240 = 2640
Add Daily Activity – anything from 120 to 250 – I will add 120 for a desk job:
2640 + 120 = 2760.
Now all you have to add is your calorie expenditure for your exercise activity – remember to average it out over a week.

This should get you onto the right track – if you still battle give me a shout.

Take care and good luck!
Vanessa.