Question
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011/08/02

Maintaining Weight

Hi Dietdoc

I went Vegetarian in March and then lost 3 kg''s which was fine, I am lacto, ovo vegetarian so get in enough milk and eggs during the day and week.

I am 1.54 and weight 46kg. I eat a variaty of foods and also eat a lot of beans but also drink at least one soya shake a day but its difficult for me at the moment to maintain my weight and not lose more.

I am also under a bit of stress with sickness in the family.

On a daily basis a eat rye rolls with hummus and avo, yogurt, brown rice with chickpeas or kidney beans, cous cous, differenet vegetables, oven chips and soya shakes. I also for snacks eat snackers, banana.

I am not a big eater but eat small meals right through the day.

Any advice?

Dear Kasandra
Seeing that your present BMI = 19,4, which is close to underweight, it would be desirable if you could gain some weight so that your BMI = 21, for which you would need to weigh 50 kg. The diet you describe is reasonable esp if you are eating eggs and milk. To increase your energy intake slightly I would recommend that you try to include about 3 tablespoons of olive oil per day as a dressing on your legumes and vegetable dishes. Olive oil is a source of monounsaturated fatty acids which are beneficial to heart health, so they are ideal to boost your energy intake. If the stress is possibly causing your weightloss or suppressing your appetite, please discuss the problem with a clinical psychologist to help you cope and to learn relaxing techniques.
I hope you manage to gain a bit of weight.

1

Dear Kasandra