Posted by: Jake | 2009-03-13

Maintaining new weight

I am a man of 48, 1,65m tall and was weighing 87kg eleven days ago when I started on a vegetable soup diet (taken with the following foods from the first to the seventh day respectively  fruit, vegetables, fruit and vegetables, bananas, beef/chicken/fish, beef and tomatoes and brown rice). I am taking a one-hour walk every other morning. I have also started doing aerobic exercises for an hour on days that I am not walking. I have lost 5 kg and aim to loose another 5. What diet should I follow or eating habits should I adopt to maintain the new weight? Are there any dangers with the regime even though donen on a temporary basis? The latter is with reference to the fact that all three macro-nutrients should be taken on a daily basis.

Dear Jake
At your present weight of 82 kg your BMI = 30,1 which is still in the obese category, so it is an excellent idea to start losing weight. If you lose those extra 5 kg and weigh 77 kg your BMI will equal 28,3 which would be a great improvement, but it will still be in the overweight category. If you only use this vegetable soup diet plus the foods you list for short period it should not be harmful or cause deficiencies. You can try using an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), to both maintain your weight and lose some additional weight esp if you keep up the exercise which is wonderful to stimulate your metabolism.