Posted by: Botha | 2008-12-07

Maintaining muscle

Hi im 16 and I was recently told that to get the best out of a muscle training session you must work your body to the point of exhaustion. Is this true? If so how often? Im pretty sure it wouldnt be everyday. On the flip side I' ve been told many times before not to over do it and that the exercise should be little and often. 7 days ago was when I started working out nothing major just 20 pushups 25 situps and a bit of work with weights when I started my biceps were massive after day 2 solid as iron now they feel more fatty and smaller in size am I working them too hard? Am I not working them hard enough? Someone please help me out.

No, not true. It's good to work to the point of fatigue sometimes, but not all the time and exhaustion is probably too far. You probably can't go to exhaustion too often without actually injuring yourself. So my advice is to train to a point that is maybe 90% of the way there, perhaps on a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is exhaustion, you should be aiming to finish at between 8 and 9 on half your training days. The rest should be easier than this, recovery days.

I think also that you should just give this some time to cause change. Your perceived changes so far are too quick to be "real", in the sense that you won't develop muscle in two days,a nd you won't lose it in a week. So just keep giong, and give it months, not days, and you'll see change. Focus on getting stronger, increasing the number of pushups and reps that you can do, or increasing the weight you are using, and you'll see the results come for themselves.